GIMP.org has been finished development cycle 2.3, so the last development version is 2.3.19. GIMP.org already release a first release candidate for next stable version 2.4.
Changes in GIMP 2.4.0-rc1
- further improvement to the Print plug-in
- completed the color management functionality for 2.4
- store JPEG setting with the image and use them when saving as JPEG
- further improved the rectangle tools, in particular handling of the fixed aspect ratio
- added color profile selector widget
- further improved the display quality for zoomed-out views
Gimphoto will still use version 2.3.19 because from the beginning Gimphoto is developed using 2.3.14 and there is menu structure change at 2.4 so that will make modification that already made at Gimphoto must be change a lot.
But don't worry after first release of Gimphoto, I will try to catch up with the latest stable Gimp for next version Gimphoto that will be use Gimp 2.4, hope at that time Gimp 2.4.0 is already released.